Click here to download full document –> SGB Elections 2018
SCHOOL GOVERNING BODY ELECTIONS 6 MARCH 2018
- Please take note that the election of the parent members for the School Governing Body will take place on 6 March 2018. Take note that six (6) parents have to be elected for a 3 year term. Nomination forms are available at the office.
- A voters roll, according to the admissions register, has been prepared of parents who are eligible to vote. It’s your responsibility to ensure that all the details on the voters roll are correct. The voters roll is available in the office and the forms to update your particulars can be collected from Carol Scheepers. Any complaint relating to the voters roll must be referred to the principal at least 7 days prior to the election date.
- Separate meetings will be held for the election of 3 educator members and 1 member of staff.
- I, as principal, am automatically appointed as a member of the SGB.
- Other members can be co-opted onto the SGB by the elected members.
- Who needs make themselves available?
- Experts in the following areas: grounds and buildings; marketing and communication; counseling, academics and culture; sport; finances; human resources; computer centres and technology; vehicles; school safety, security, welfare and discipline. These may be adjusted according to the skills of the chosen members.
- Parents who are extremely loyal to the school and who will be a friend of the school. This person must be available for meetings, functions and be prepared to be involved.
- Parents who are prepared to be trained and empowered.
- Parents who are prepared to attend meetings and to be selected as office bearers (Chairman, Vice chairman, Treasurer and Secretary).
- Parents who endeavor for quality education, healthy discipline, honest financial management, transparency and integrity.
- Parents who are ready to take on a huge responsibility and who will respect all confidential matters.
- It is essential that you cast your vote on 6 March so that the continued existence and ethos of the school are protected.
- In order for the election meeting to be constituted legally, 15% of all voters on the voters roll must be present. If not, then a second meeting will be held within two weeks without a quorum being necessary and a minority of parents being able to elect the SGB. This meeting will be held on 8 March 2018 if necessary.
- No person may be elected as a member of a governing body if he or she:
- Has been convicted of an offence to more than 1 month’s imprisonment without the option of a fine, either in the Republic or outside of the Republic, if the conduct constituting the offence would have been an offence in the RSA. No one may be regarded as having been sentenced until, an appeal against the conviction of the sentence has been determined; or the time of appeal has expired, provided that the disqualification ended 5 years after the sentence has been completed;
- Is of unsound mind and has been declared so by a competent court;
- Is an unrehabilitated insolvent;
- Is a parent but not a South African citizen or not in possession of a permanent resident permit unless permitted by the SG.
- Is a parent but no longer has a child enrolled at the school.
- At the election meeting:
- An assistant electoral officer and a secretary will be appointed;
- Parents (voters) must identify themselves with an identity document, drivers license or passport;
- Persons who do not qualify as voters will not be allowed to enter the hall;
- The meeting will be regarded as a “closed” meeting;
- All nomination forms must be signed by the proposer, the seconder as well as the nominated candidate. The person nominated need not be at the meeting but the proposer and seconder must attend.
- The parent who nominated a candidate will be afforded the opportunity to introduce the candidate and give reasons for the nomination or the candidate can introduce him/herself to the meeting. A maximum of 5 minutes will be allowed for the introduction. A multi-media projector will be available if a candidate would like to make use of this technology to strengthen his/her introduction. This cd/memory stick with your presentation must reach the school before 10:00 on the day of the election so that we can see if it compatible with our system.
- Every voter will have six (6) votes. Voting, by secret ballot, will only take place if more than 6 nominations have been received.
- Nomination forms are available from Teresa Young in the admin office.
- These nomination forms, duly signed, must be handed in at the office at the latest one day before the election meeting. On the evening of the election 15 minutes will be set aside for any new nominations.
I would like to remind you of the importance of attending this important election. Please contact me at school if any further information is required.